Welcome! I have decided that 2016 is my year to get my house in order for real. I’ve created a week-by-week guide focusing on one area at a time. Yes, I realize a year is a long time. But I believe it’s the time line needed to make the thorough and permanent changes. No more surface organizing – we’re getting down and dirty! So let’s get started! Each week we will have an assignment, an area of the home to clean up, clean out and organize. And since cluttered homes are harder to keep organized, there will be an additional challenge each week to help you purge items from your home!
52 Weeks to a More Organized Home | #8 The Junk Drawer(s)
Yes, I know you have more than one, admit it! I think I technically have 5. Eek. BUT after two weeks of doing closets, I did promise I would take it easy on you this week! So this week it’s cleaning out the junk drawers. There is some benefit to have a junk drawer – sometimes it’s nice to have a place to throw something until you can figure out what to do with it. And you need a place to put those odd and ends until you do need them. BUT even the best junk drawers need to cleaned out occasionally. I actually have this The Everything Drawer organizer. It is under-utilized at the moment but I like that it has a stackable tray – makes your drawer more efficient – and it comes with stickers you place inside each cubbie space that tells you what goes there. Like rubber bands or tape or batteries. Isn’t that neat? I would love to hear about your best “junk drawer” solutions!
Your additional challenges this week:
- Try to turn at least one if not more of your “junk drawers” into a drawer with a purpose this week!
- Let’s keep returning things to their places. Make it a habit this week to grab one thing from a room before you leave that doesn’t belong in that room and either return it where it belongs, trash it, or add it to the donate box.
- If you’re doing the 2016 Clean Out Challenge you should have tossed around 280 items already and you’ll need to toss out about 40 items over this week.
- Some things to note about the clean out challenge, while 40 items sounds like a lot, it doesn’t mean it has to be 40 things of any great size or value. Did you find 7 old receipts in your junk drawer? That’s 7 items you just threw away! It doesn’t matter how big or small, if it goes, it counts!
- I have a notepad on the fridge and put a tally mark for every item I toss so I can keep up with how much I’ve gotten rid of so far! I’m a little behind at only 200 items.
Are you going to join me in having a more organized home? Comment below! Leave your tips, questions and suggestions! Let us know how your week went. I’ll be honest, I’m about 40 items behind on my 2,016 Item Clean Out Challenge… Also, tell me about problem areas in your house – everyone’s home is different and I want to make sure we cover all areas during our 52 weeks! Don’t forget to come back next week for a new challenge!