April 14, 2022, is National Gardening Day! The first recommended planting day for heat loving vegetables is April 15th – we are prone to a random late frost now and then. So National Gardening Day falls at the perfect time to get me pumped up for starting my garden!
Here are some places you can request free wildflower seed packets. This is a great way to help support the pollinator population even if you don’t want a big garden. Plus, it’s a fun activity to do with the kids!
- Choose from Black-Eyed Susan or Butterfly Milkweed Seeds when you fill out the form HERE.
- Help the Monarch Butterfly population with FREE Milkweed Seeds – details on requesting (SASE required) here.
- Request FREE Seeds from the Free Seed Project.
- Check FreeHeirloomSeeds.org for Seed Giveaways.
- Request FREE Gardening Kits for your students from Back to Roots!
- If you’re from Colorado or Minnesota you can get a free pollinator seed pack by mail.
- Check out this list of Free Seed Catalogs you can request – they sometimes come with FREE SEEDS!
Where can you buy seeds from?
If you have a farmers co-op or feed-and-seed store, those are great places to start! I don’t know about other garden nurseries, but the one near me carries the same Burpee seeds Lowe’s and Home Depot get. Those would be my second choice places for getting seeds. I choose the farmers co-op or feed-and-seed store first because you’re going to find the seeds that work best in your area. At my local store I can get purple hull peas which you don’t usually find at a chain store – and they grow well here! Plus a couple varieties of corn that don’t come in the seed packets at the Lowe’s.
You can also order seeds online!
There’s not need to wait until the home & garden section of the stores puts out their seeds. You can order the same Burpee seeds you find in store right from the Burpee website! Be sure to sign up for their newsletter for free shipping!
Check out the sales at Urban Leaf Free shipping at Urban Leaf starts on orders of just $25!
Hoss Tools is a USA Company with a large variety of quality seeds.
Check out Rise Gardens if you want to try Indoor Gardening!
Garden Tower Project
Save $35 on the Garden Tower 2 when you sign up for the Garden Tower Project newsletter (scroll to the bottom of their homepage and click “sign up for newsletter” if the pop-up doesn’t come up for you.)
Shop fruit trees at SuperTrees.com.