Happy St. Patrick’s Day! St. Patrick’s Day is a fun day for kids because it’s such a fun holiday to celebrate and there’s a little bit of history to be learned in the process.
May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face. – Irish Blessing
🍀St. Patrick’s Day is always on March 17th.
Fun Facts about St. Patrick’s Day for kids:
- St. Patrick’s real name was Maewyn Succat. (May-win Su-cat)
- St. Patrick’s Day is observed on March 17, the date of St. Patrick’s death in 461AD.
- The total spent on St. Patrick’s Day by Americans celebrating will be about $4.6 billion dollars.
- There are NO female Leprechauns… so where do they come from?
- A pot of gold with 1,000 gold one ounce coins would be worth about $1.26 million dollars.
- The first American St. Patrick’s Day party took place in Boston, Massachusetts.
- It is St. Patrick’s Day or St. Paddy’s day – NEVER St. Patty’s day.
And why do you get pinched if you aren’t wearing green? That’s another American invention during the first celebration in Boston. They thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the naughty Leprechauns who apparently run around pinching everyone they see that isn’t wearing green!
St. Patrick’s Day things to make and do:
St. Patrick’s Day Candy Science
Walking Water Rainbow Experiment
Got little ones? This Paper Plate Rainbow Craft is great for them!
St. Patrick’s Day GREEN Food:
For GREEN eats – you can make Spinach Muffins for breakfast (they’re green!) and Shamrock Chips for a snack. Irish Soda Bread is always on our table for dinner!
You can also make these super cute, super easy Shamrock Cinnamon Rolls!
Need a green drink? Here’s a Healthy Green Smoothie!
Need more ideas? Here are 21 St. Patrick’s Day Ideas.