Love legumes? Honestly, my favorite beans are of the coffee variety. But I don’t think those count for National Bean Day on January 6, 2022. Navy, red, kidney, lima, or black are the beans of the day today.
I think I’ll celebrate National Bean Day with kidney and chili beans – in a big pot of chili!
Here’s my recipe that came from my mom. It can be doubled or halved to suit your needs.
Mom’s Chili Recipe
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 or 2 packets of chili seasoning mix (hot or regular – matter of preference)
- 3 cans chili beans (not drained)
- 2 cans kidney beans (drained)
- 2 large cans and one regular size (15 oz) can of tomato sauce (about 60oz total tomato sauce)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- chopped red onion (optional – either cooked in chili or for topping. I like mine as topping because they stay flavorful and crunchy)
- shredded cheddar cheese (for topping – I prefer sharp for the chili)
Brown ground beef and drain. Combine in a pot with next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours or so.
Top with onion and cheese and serve with crackers or fritos.
7 Can Pantry Soup – this recipe calls for whatever soup you have in your pantry!
Fagioli Soup with Pasta – try this hearty soup with white kidney beans
Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Chili – use dark and light kidney beans in this twist on traditional chili
Pumpkin Black Bean Turkey Chili – if you’re feeling like a totally different take on chili!
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find any deals for National Bean Day. But beans are a great inexpensive staple to have in your pantry! So – go get some beans!
Jelly Beans are not part of National Bean Day – you’ll have to wait until April 22 to celebrate jelly beans!