Here’s a list of states having a back-to-school-tax free shopping weekend for 2021! Tax free does not mean that the tax rate will be 0% in all areas. Participating states will be waiving the STATE tax but there are still city and county taxes. Some cities and counties may waive their taxes as well. Check your state link for more details. It may be beneficial to drive to another city or across county lines if the one you’re in is not waiving the additional taxes.
Tax free categories are school supplies, clothing, shoes, books and computers. Some states offer only clothing/shoes. Some do clothes and school supplies. Some do three or more categories but very few states do all. Check your state link for more details.
Tax free weekends start in July in some states. Most states have it the first weekend in August. Some offer it for a full week. Not all states offer a tax free shopping weekend.
- Alabama: July 16-18
- Arkansas: August 7-8
- Connecticut: August 15-21
- Florida: July 31 – August 9
- Georgia: no longer on the list of participating states
- Iowa: August 6-7 (only valid on select clothing)
- Louisiana: no longer on the list of participating states
- Maryland: August 14-15 (only valid on shoes and clothing)
- Mississippi: July 30-31 (only valid on clothing)
- Missouri: August 6-8
- New Mexico: August 6-8
- Ohio: August 6-8
- Oklahoma: August 6-8 (clothing and shoes only)
- South Carolina: August 6-8
- Tennessee: July 30 – Aug 1 (Tennessee also offers tax free on FOOD from July 30 – Aug 7!
- Texas: August 6-8
- Virginia: August 6-8
- West Virginia: July 30-Aug 2
- Wisconsin: no longer on the list of participating states
Full details for each state listed HERE.