Happy St. Patrick’s Day! May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face. – Irish Blessing
A few things you might not know about this holiday…
- St. Patricks real name was Maewyn Succat.
- About 13 million pints of Guinness will be consumed worldwide on St. Patrick’s Day.
- The total spent on St. Patrick’s Day by Americans celebrating will be about $4.6 billion dollars.
- There are NO female Leprechauns… so where do they come from?
- A pot of gold with 1,000 gold one ounce coins would be worth about $1.26 million dollars.
- The first American St. Patrick’s Day party took place in Boston, Massachusetts.
And why do you get pinched if you aren’t wearing green? That’s another American invention during the first celebration in Boston. They thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the naughty Leprechauns who apparently run around pinching everyone they see that isn’t wearing green!
Here’s a cute kid-friendly video from Veggietales that tells you all about St. Patrick in 8 minutes. :)
And my favorite Irish proverb: You’ll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind. Which means, don’t just think about it – do it!