Welcome to the first Sunday Showcase Link Up. I thought since we are still in the back to school month we’d start with some learning ideas! You may find yourself wanting to “preschool” your little one at home, or needing to find them some constructive activities while their older siblings are at school. Or you may be like us, and homeschooling a kindergartner this year!
Whatever your reasons for being here, I’m glad you are! Check out the ideas below and if you have your own, share them in the linky below!
Here some games and ideas to help reinforce the letters that you are teaching.
- Start an alphabet book – I do this every year with my preschoolers.
this works well with the one-a-week sequential order pace as you can add to the book things you found that week that start with the letter you’re learning.
- Create a “letter wall” or “letter board”
designate a spot near your “learning area” to highlight your letter. You can see in the picture above, we used the closet door in the playroom (where our “work area” is) because I didn’t want to tape things to the wall – the door worked well. Use this spot to highlight the activities your child has done over the week with their letter. Tracing it, writing it, coloring it. Pictures that begin with the letter, etc.
- Check out this homemade Alphabet Learning Game (and download printables to make your own) here.
- Read Books about the ABCs.
One favorite that comes to mind is Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom.
You can see an entirely separate post on Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom ideas here.
Other good Alphabet Books: Alphabet Under Construction
- Eric Carle’s ABC (The World of Eric Carle)
- Use playdough, wikki sticks, chenille stems or other manipulatives to “build” letters.
- Check out my Pinterest Board devoted to Pre-K-K Alphabet, Phonics and Early Reading Activities
There are tons of crafts, ideas, and free printable worksheets pinned there!
- Alphabet Magnets
- LeapFrog NEW Leap Reader Reading and Writing System
Happy Letter Learning!